Whether you’re considering a career change or are on the verge of retiring from your current work to spend time on different pursuits, making the decision on a direction to go in can be confusing when there are often many options of paths to take. While this is a good problem to have, narrowing down our choices can seem to be a daunting task.
In this “season of love” here in February, hearkening back to what you most enjoyed in your past roles (or love about your current work) can be a good place to start to get a handle on what to focus on in your next role or phase of life. It doesn’t mean there still won’t be tasks or activities you have to do that aren’t the most pleasant or fit your strengths that well. It does mean, that these things can provide an anchor to help determine your next step.
Here are a few questions to get you started:
- What have been times when you’ve been in a state of “flow,” losing track of the time. What exactly were you doing when this happened?
- What type of work or tasks do you most look forward to doing?
- What types of activities give you energy rather than drain it?
- What do your receive positive feedback about that you actually enjoy doing rather than it being work that you’re good at though don’t like?
- When you picture your future, what does an ideal day look like?
By focusing on what we love, it keeps us in a positive frame of mind and allows us to dream a bit too. The answers to these questions can help you see common threads or themes that can then potentially point you in a direction that resonates the most with you. What’s not to love about that?